Right now, Artificial Intelligence (AI) is everywhere. It feels like every other day a different tech company announces their newest program or service that utilizes it, despite the technology having been around for decades. With AI now being readily accessible for the public, many business owners are asking themselves what it means for their business operations and daily life within the office. As a future forward company, Framewerx has been using AI technology to better serve our clients for years. And as a company devoted to transparency, we want to ensure that our customers know exactly how we are using AI to serve them, and why.
How do we leverage AI?
Framewerx utilizes Graphus®, an automated cybersecurity defense program, to bring peace of mind and security to our clients. Graphus uses AI to protect businesses from email-based threats. But how is it used?:
Email Analysis and Threat Detection
Graphus leverages AI algorithms to analyze incoming and outgoing emails within an organization’s email infrastructure. It examines email headers, content, attachments, and metadata to understand the context and identify any suspicious patterns or anomalies. The program monitors traffic in real-time, flagging emails that exhibit characteristics of phishing attempts or other malicious activities.
Behavioral analysis is used to detect unusual patterns in email communication. It establishes a baseline of normal behavior for each user and then identifies deviations that could indicate a potential threat. For example, if an employee suddenly starts sending emails with unusual language or requests for sensitive information, the system can flag it as suspicious. Several factors are at play when using AI behavioral analysis:
- Rule-based approach: Behavioral analysis typically involves defining rules or patterns that describe expected or abnormal behavior. These rules are applied to the observed data to identify patterns or anomalies.
- Human-defined features: Behavioral analysis often relies on human experts to define the relevant features or indicators of behavior. These features can include specific actions, sequences of events, or other measurable characteristics.
- Interpretation and context: Behavioral analysis aims to provide meaningful insights by interpreting the detected patterns or anomalies in the context of the specific domain. It often requires human intervention to interpret the results and make decisions based on the analysis.
Machine learning is a subset of AI, where the algorithm works to train its AI models on vast amounts of data. Unlike behavioral analysis, machine learning enables the algorithm to predict and identify without being programmed by humans.
- Data-driven approach: Machine learning algorithms learn from data and automatically discover patterns, relationships, or features without explicit programming. In the case of Graphus, this includes historical email interactions and working to develop an understanding of what constitutes normal and abnormal email behavior within an organization.
- Automated feature extraction: Machine learning algorithms often automatically learn and extract relevant features or representations from the data. These features are learned through the training process, reducing the need for human-defined features.
- Model optimization: This involves training models by optimizing their parameters or structures to minimize errors or maximize performance on a given task.
We use AI to provide proactive user education and awareness. We automatically generate and deploy simulated phishing campaigns that mirror real-world attacks to test employees’ susceptibility to phishing attacks. Additionally, Additionally, we deliver personalized training to help employees improve their ability to identify and respond to such threats.
Automation and Response:
Graphus takes automated actions to protect your organization when it identifies a potential threat. It quarantines suspicious emails, block malicious links, prevents unauthorized access to compromised accounts, and alerts administrators as well as your IT team. By automating these response actions, we significantly reduce the response time, minimizing the impact of potential security incidents. This automated approach enables Framewerx to quickly mitigate risks and ensure that your email is returned to its best-standing state as soon as possible.
Read more about our other projects and applications here!